WOMAN DIES IN AVON HOUSE FIRE
Story & Photos by BRIAN WOODS
Avon – An 83 year old woman died in a late night house fire at 37975 Caroline Drive in Avon late Tuesday night.
Chief Frank Root of the Avon Fire Department said his department received the call of a house fire at 8:23 p.m. Tuesday night. When Firefighters arrived they found heavy smoke coming from the house and were being told by Police Officers already on scene that someone is still inside the home.
According to Root Firefighters found the woman, identified later as Jane Rooney, sitting in a chair in the living room.
Firefighters were able to quickly knock down the blaze that was contained to the living room.
Root said neighbors attempted to rescue the woman from the home but the smoke was too thick.
Avon Fire received mutual aid from Sheffield Village, North Ridgeville and Avon Lake.