Monday, February 09, 2009

MAN SLIDES OFF SLICK ROAD

CRACKS UTILITY POLE IN HALF
Carlisle Township – A last minute choice to turn left instead of south is one that 22-year-old Steven Gilbert will second-guess now for a long time.

Gilbert was driving to a friend’s house on South Abbe Road late Sunday night when he came up to the stop sign on Fuller Road. Usually he turns right and takes Chestnut to S. Abbe – but Sunday night he made a left turn onto East River because he was giving some people a ride. “They aren’t even like friends of mine, I know them but not that well – but they asked if I would give them a ride and since it had gotten so cold outside I said yes, I wouldn’t want someone saying no to me if I had asked.”

Once Gilbert began traveling north on East River the road beneath him became slick – with the rapid drop in temperatures the roads quickly turned icy. When he went around a curve Gilbert said his car just started sliding and there was nothing he could do. “I slide sideways all the way right into the pole. I saw it coming so I leaned my body over towards the passenger side and now that I see the damage I am glad I did – I’d probably be dead right now.”

Once Gilbert’s car struck the pole sparks started flying from above and lit the night’s sky – visible from miles away. Witnesses say that when they looked outside they saw the passengers from Gilbert’s car run from the scene. Gilbert, like the others, extricated himself but he remained at the scene and spoke with State Troopers.

Acting on tips from neighbors, Elyria Police K-9 Officer Rick Walker and Stuka began searching behind a nearby church. While searching the wooded area other Officers tracked down some of the passengers on E. River just north of the crash site. Because no crime had been committed and that Gilbert told Troopers that he was driving at the time of the crash the men were simply identified and released.

LifeCare Paramedics and Carlisle Township Firefighters responded to the scene but Gilbert refused any treatment or transport.

The strike caused the utility pole to crack in half about half way up – leaving the top half dangling over the roadway. Ohio Edison Technicians arrived quickly to begin making repairs so Troopers could re-open the road.

Troopers say that Gilbert was cited for Failure to Control and for not wearing his seatbelt.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job Carlisle and everyone else involved. Just goes to show you when things go bad you find out who your true friends are.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons