Sunday, August 12, 2007

EAST 32nd STREET HOUSE FIRE


Lorain Firefighters responded to the 1700 block of East 32nd Street after neighbors spotted smoke coming from a rooftop.

Lorain Fire Captain Dennis Livchak said that as units arrived on scene they found smoke showing from the attic eves. “The first crew made their way into the house and up to the second floor and got up to the entrance to the attic where they found a lot of heavy fire and a lot of heavy smoke, high heat conditions.”

Captain Livchak said as other crews arrived they put ladders up and cut a hole in the roof to ease the conditions for the Firefighters inside the home. “The hole in the roof is to relieve all your pressure and the heat, somewhere for it to vent so it’s not all backing down on my guys.”

Vince Martinez lives two doors to the east of the house and said he could smell the smoke. “I was out in my back yard and at first I thought it was someone burning trash, then I came around front and I could see the fumes coming off their shingles.” Martinez said he began yelling for the people inside the house to get out. “Some came out when we were yelling but I don’t think everyone in there took it real serious until the Fire Department got here.”

Neighbors gathered across the street to watch as Firefighters fought the blaze in the high heat. Martinez and other complimented the Firefighters for such a quick response and for how fast they brought the fire under control and put it out. “I wouldn’t want to have their job, especially in this heat. I think these guys did an outstanding job, I hope they are all ok.”

Captain Livchak said that the Red Cross was called to assist the family with shelter as the home will be uninhabitable for at least a couple of days due to fire, smoke and water damage.

To see more photos: CLICK HERE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons