Wednesday, August 06, 2008

MINIVAN SLAMS INTO MOTORCYCLE

RIDER FLIES OFF BIKE AND OVER VAN

Elyria – A motorcyclist was flown to Metro this afternoon after being struck from behind by a minivan on Furnace Street near Hillsdale Ave.

Lavonya Wright of Elyria said she was on her front porch when the crash occurred – she said it’s a sight she will not soon forget. “I first saw the motorcycle go by then the van and then for whatever reason the woman in the van just crashed right into the back of the bike.”


Willie Davis was on his front porch with his wife on Hillsdale Ave and heard the crash. “As soon as I heard the crash I looked up and saw the man go flying up in the air and he landed on top of the van and then rolled off and onto the road. It was a very scary sight; I thought he was going to be dead.”

Elyria Firefighters and LifeCare Paramedics treated the man at the scene and transported him to Elyria Memorial Hospital where he was later flown by LifeFlight to MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland. Witnesses say the man was speaking at the scene but seemed very confused.

Wright said that as people went to help the man the woman driving the minivan kept saying “breathe, breathe”. “I was worried that he was dead, we sent the kids back into the house because we didn’t want them seeing that. But the man started talking to us, although he was very confused. He kept saying that he was under the van.”


Police kept Furnace Street closed from Lake Ave to West River while Investigators took measurements and photographed the scene. Technicians from Mug’s Elyria Auto Service had to use a tow truck to lift the van off of the motorcycle before they could clear the roadway.

The Elyria Police Department is investigating the crash.

To see more photos from the scene: CLICK HERE

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are cancelling our newspaper deliveries.....Thanks TMC!!!

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just another happening of people not paying attention especially to bikers, i'd personally like to know if she was talking on her phone or texting at the time of the accident. I hope the man on the bike is ok and he continues to ride still.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to get my motorcycle endorsement but stories like this make me second guess myself.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I normally want to sit here and argue with all the PRO bikers who blame every accident on the other person EVEN when it is clearly the bikers fault but this certainly looks like a case of some idiot texting and hitting this poor guy. I hope he makes a speedy and full recovery. Thanks TMC and Ride safe fellas

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could be wrong, but this sounds like a classic case of someone on a cell phone and not paying attention. I have had far more close calls with people on cell phones that I ever did with people "under the influence" (although I certainly don't condone that behavior either). Frankly, I think that the penalties and fines for anyone causing an accident while on a cell phone should be tripled. For God's sake people, how did you ever survive before we had cell phones? Pay attention to the road and the drivers around you before you seriously injure or kill someone.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is only thing scarier that the person who was hurt due to the accident. That is the "classic case" of people blaming someone or something with no mention of it in the article nor any proof.

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't exactly say people are blaming her with no reason at all. Obviously, she was not paying attention to what was in front of her and she rear-ended the motorcyclist. Doesn't really matter what she was doing (talking on cell phone, texting, yelling at kids in the car, whatever), she wasn't paying attention and she is clearly at fault in causing this accident. Can't really see how anyone would claim she is without fault in this case.

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe what I said was "I could be WRONG, but this SOUNDS like a classic case of someone on a cell phone and not paying attention." Sorry if I scare you, but I stand by what I said. I never blamed anyone for anything; I just stated what it sounded like. If I am wrong, then I am wrong, but I would bet my next paycheck that I'm not. I think that people who misinterpret what others say is what is "scary".

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quit blaming cell phones and blame the driver.

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons