Monday, June 11, 2007

LORAIN AIRMAN KILLED IN IRAQ


Airman 1st Class Eric M. Barnes seen here with Toby Keith

The Department of Defense announced today the death of an airman who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Airman 1st Class Eric M. Barnes, 20, of Lorain, Ohio, died June 9 as result of an improvised explosive device attack on an Air Force convoy about 100 miles south of Baghdad, Iraq. He was assigned to the 90th Logistics Readiness Squadron, F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Wyoming.

The family of Airman Barnes was notified yesterday by a Lieutenant Colonel in the Air Force ROTC detachment in Kent.

Instead of sharing stories from friends to tell you about Barnes, here is a description written by Barnes and posted on his MySpace page.


Hey my name is Eric Barnes, I am 20. I am in the Air Force I joined when I was 18. I love it, wouldn’t trade it for the world. I am deployed, again lol! I got back in November and now I am back. I am doing the exact same thing as last year. That is driving convoys. Its fun, I guess. What a way to spend another summer hahaha! I am stationed at F.E Warren AFB in Cheyenne WY. Its petty cool being out west. I am from Lorain OH. On December 23rd I met and fell in love with the most beautiful girl ever. Sara I love you so much. Speaking of love, I love baseball, Go Indians! I also love football, bowling and golf. I am a very easy going person. I get along with most people, I say most because I can’t stand people who are stuck up, egotistical morons. My philosophy on life is you have to have fun, but before fun comes work. I am not afraid to get my hands dirty. I love being out doors, some of my best memories involve camping, fishing and just being out side. Every thing I just mentioned wouldn't be possible if it weren't for all of my friends back home. You guys helped me get where I am today, I love you guys like family and would do anything for you. Also my little bro, Dale I wouldn’t trade you for the world. On a side note the Seahawks should of won the Super Bowl, oh well there’s always next year.

In a MySpace questionnaire Barnes was asked; Your Most Missed Memory, he answered; being at home on leave.

As funeral details become available we will bring them to you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric Barnes is going to be missed very much. My prayers go out to him his family and his friends. He was a great friend to us here at F.E. Warren. & he took pride in his job!! He will be remembered forever, and always!

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric Barnes was a great kid I use to bowl At Rebmans with him I didn't know him personally but he was a great person I pray for his Family

5:57 PM  
Blogger ramirez said...

Words can not begin to describe the sadness we feel in our hearts right now. For those of you who did not know Eric, you missed out on one amazing young man. For those of us who knew Eric (no matter how long), what can I say. Eric was the type of individual who touched you the minute you met him. Shary and Tom~ my deepest sympathy. Eric ~ thank you for being the outstanding young man that you were and touching the lives of so many. You will be missed.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons