Tuesday, August 08, 2006



Fire broke out in an apartment building on Berkshire Ave. in Sheffield Township last night just before midnight. Neighbors stated that shortly before the fire they had heard loud noises coming from the apartment. It sounded like he was banging pots and pans really loud stated one neighbor who did not want to give his name. We have had a lot of problems with him in the past but this is obviously the worst. The man, seen above with a bandaged hand and with two Lorain county Sheriff Deputies by his side, reportedly had a can of gasoline in his apartment and a discarded cigarette might have connected with the gas. Neighbors who saw the fire quickly went door-to-door waking people up and getting them out of their apartments. The apartment directly above where the fire started was unoccupied at the time of the fire. Neighbors say that it was a blessing she wasn't home because the woman who lives there is elderly with a lot of medical problems. When firefighters arrived on scene they saw flames shooting from the second floor apartment. Sheffield Township firefighters along with Sheffield Village and Elyria Township knocked down the blaze quickly.

Firefighters and paramedics on the scene treated a man for a possible heart attack; firefighters also rescued two cats from the apartment building and turned them over to their owners who immediately transported them to an all night Vet. Elaine Wiley of http://www.homelesspaws.com/ expressed her gratitude to the firefighters for taking the time to save family pets.

At the time of this posting no other injuries were reported.


Post a Comment

<< Home

Orbitz Coupons