Thursday, August 19, 2010

A MOMENT FOR A FRIEND

A candlelight vigil was held in memory and honor of Avon Firefighter / Paramedic Kevin Criss Wednesday night in front of the Avon Fire Station. Luminaries lined the street around the station and nearly 200 people held candles while the fire bell was rang one last time for Criss.

Chief Frank Root of the Avon Fire Department said he wasn’t sure how many people would show up for the vigil, but was pleased at the outcome. “We have always had a good relationship with this community and since the tragic loss of Kevin the people of Avon and even surrounding communities have really shown us their love and support and I really hope they understand how much we appreciate them.”


Root stood on the pad outside of the fire station – his backdrop: a fire engine, a wreath for Criss and Criss’ turnout gear. “This was a day I never wanted to experience,” Root said. “Kevin was one of my first hires when I became Chief in 2006. Dealing with a situation like this is not something you are taught, I’m not sure they can teach it really.”

The night of the crash Root, along with Trooper AJ Torres and two of Criss’ friends went to make the notification to the family. “I’ve watched movies before where Officers had to go make a notification like this, but walking up that driveway and knowing that in moments you will have to tell the family something that will forever change their lives – I’m fortunate that I had the Trooper and the Officers from Lorain and Elyria there to help me. It’s something I pray I will never have to do again.”

The evening ended with a siren from an Engine behind the station and the final ringing of the station bell for Kevin.



PHOTO GALLERY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons