Wednesday, March 17, 2010

VIGIL FOR FALLEN OFFICER

A candlelight vigil is being planned for Friday night at 8PM outside of the Elyria Police Station in honor of fallen Elyria Police Officer Jim Kerstetter.

Mike Van Akin along with two friends, Courtney Constitino and Jenny Baker, are organizing the Vigil. Van Akin said that they want to see the people that Kerstetter served for 15 years show up and pay their respects. “Officer Kerstetter gave his life while serving our community, this is certainly the least we could do to honor him and his family.”

Van Akin said he also hopes to see the community show up in force on Saturday during Kerstetter’s funeral to show everyone how much our community appreciated his 15 years of service.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a sad story. I know there's not much I can say to make his loved ones feel better but I do know how they feel. My condolences to Mr. Kerstetter's family.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I,ve know Jimmy since high school 1980. We were locker buddies, we were in marching band percussion section together. I live down the road from where this happened. He would patrol my street. I would see him often. I miss him already. Just knowing that he isn't out there anymore is heart breaking. You could find Jimmy at many stores standing gaurd. Looking sharp in his uniform with all his gear. It was nice knowing he was out there looking over us at night.I know the other Officers do a great job also but I liked knowing Jimmy was out there. His Mother and Father used to travel with the marching band band hauling our drums, flags and and other gear hang out with us at football games. I remember one day I was on my 10 speed. I had Jimmy's boom box riding no hands on my bike. And then out of nowhere I was heading down into the gutter on the side of the road I slid in hard. But I held up his boom box as I hit the road. It got a little scratched up on the bottom. But my bike was bent, my pants had the knees torn out of them I was scrapped and scuffed and coated with gravel. But I saved that boom box. Not many people get to have a good old friend watch over them every night. It was nice. God I'm going to miss him. I love you Jimmy :( Rest in Peace Buddy

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly would like to thank the 3 Elyria High Seniors: Jenny Baker, Courtney Constitino, and Mike VanAkin for the wonderful job they did in organizing the Candle Light Vigil for Officer James Kerstetter. They did a great job of getting the community together to pay tribute and show their love and support to the Kerstetter family and for the Elyria Police Department. They should be recognized for their involvement in our community. Great Job!!!

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons