Monday, April 28, 2008


Avon – A drier is the suspected cause of a house fire on Lake Drive in Avon Sunday night.

Chief Frank Root of the Avon Fire Department said when Firefighters arrived they found smoke and fire coming from the windows. “The homeowner apparently smelled smoke in the house and started searching for the source, that’s when he discovered the fire in the basement. When we got here the fire had made its way to the first floor of the home and was shooting out the window.”

Chief Root said that as Firefighters began their interior attack, obstacles inside the home hampered their advance. “There were a lot of items on the floor and stairwell and although that slowed them down a little bit – they were still able to get to the fire and knock it down.” Root said that the there was plenty of fire load in the basement around the families gas-drier, fueling the fire sending it up to the first floor. “They have fire damage to the basement and a portion of the first floor and heavy smoke and water damage throughout the home.”

The homeowner was able to get out of the home without injury. His wife was at the store at the time of the fire. The couple’s six cats were unable to escape the fire and were found dead by Firefighters.

Avon Fire Department received automatic mutual aid assistance from Sheffield Village, Avon Lake and North Ridgeville Fire Departments.

To see more photos from the scene: CLICK HERE


Post a Comment

<< Home

Orbitz Coupons