Saturday, September 08, 2007

OPINIONS ARE LIKE….. UMM, NOSES

EVERYBODY HAS ONE

Over the last couple of weeks many of you have posted comments on this and many other sites about Mayor Bill Grace directing the minimum staffing level to be lowered from 17 to 14 at the Elyria Fire Department. In turn the Fire Chief announced that when staffing is below 17, Station Two located on East Broad Street would be not staffed with Firefighters. I have read some very sincere comments and I have also seen some vicious comments. I have seen comments supporting Mayor Grace saying that he is doing what is in the best interest of the city fiscally and I have seen comments supporting the Fire Department saying that the Administration should respect the expertise of the Fire Chief and not mess with his budget.

I suppose the truth lies somewhere in the middle of this battle. There are numbers being put out from both sides and it is difficult to understand to those of us who are not in city government or on a Fire Department. We can just look at the numbers and explanations that are being put out for us, and examine them in an objective way to reach our own conclusions. As I read the comments sections on our site along with others, I see far too many people not being objective and not truly leaning all of the facts before reaching their conclusions. While in Las Vegas I received a phone call from a woman who said she supports the Fire Department and wanted to know if I could remove a comment posted by someone who wrote something negative about the Firefighters. I looked into it and the poster not only signed the post, they have a blogger profile. Although I will not remove the post, I will address it here.

The person made the accusation that the Elyria Fire Department sabotaged the Engine that fell apart on East Broad Street with a crew of three on board. The person also called into question the next back up truck not starting. Freedom of Speech allows this person and others to have these asinine thoughts. I cannot see any right thinking person coming to that same conclusion. How freaking idiotic are you? To think that any of the Firefighters would purposely rig the truck to fall apart risking serious harm or death to other Firefighters and possibly citizens on the road is the MOST absurd, ridiculous, moronic comment I have ever heard. I am not sure if the person truly believes this or is just writing it to provoke others into responding. In any case this person has taken the right of Freedom of Speech and spit on it.

So this brings me back to the old question, what to do about the comment section. I have no control over the way the page is set up, that is all Blogger. There are three options given to people who want to post comments, I cannot change that. Here is what I will be doing. I am asking you how it should be handled. There are three options that I am presenting to the readers to vote on.

1. Do away with comments all together
2. Free for all. Only slanderous posts will be denied.
3. As editor I have the right to delete any anonymous comment if it is slanderous or it is unsigned and deemed stupid

I will also be sending an Email to all Gold Card Members allowing them to vote and also recommend any other suggestions. Just one of the Gold Card perks!

I would hate to see the comments section gone and I’m sure most of you feel the same way. Like everything else though, a few bad apples ruin good things for everyone else.

We’ll see over the next week or so what you all think and then we will make a decision.

In the meantime, enjoy life, drive safe and STOP TEXTING WHILE DRIVING!

TMC

16 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

It was me Terry. I admiot it. I was the one who wrote it. It was a theory, and an opinion. I have no regrets. I'm sick of all the whining by EFD. They are being unprofessional buffoons. Let them address the overtime problem. Fix the structure of it. In the mean time, stop acting out like a bunch of third graders.

Terry, Thanks for your post. I love you man!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Dave Igneczi said...

AMEN! I vote for eliminating the comments section. Your site has been providing a type of reporting that is sorely lacking in the print media (especially the biased ones serving Lorain County). Don't belittle the content of your site with the comments section. LorainCounty.com offers a site where those people have a venue to air their concerns. Keep up the good work TMC. Whether I agree with you or not, your site is one of the few that I visit on a regular basis.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone has the right to have an opinion. I think the only options are either to eliminate the comments completely, or keep any that are signed and not slanderous. I understand that you are the judge, jury, and executor for the site - but I think it would be unfair for you to deem a comment "stupid" and delete it. It's just.... biased.

-Sue

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

everyone has a right to their opinion. keep the comments up. I feel the mayor should be ashamed of himself for putting all the city workers against each other. the problem with this hole thing is all of people don't know the whole story and are voiceing their opinion on what they do know. The mayor or whoever is making it look like the firefighters are crying about whats going on, but go talk to the firefighters and get their side of the story you may be very suprised at what you find out. I am sick of hearing how there's no money but the mayor buys a house here in Elyria and remodels it with taxpayers money as it still sitting to be sold. I find that to be wasteful and how many more things has he done that we don't know about with our money. The police department and the fire department are both under staffed. We need to take care of them before we worry about this 2015 plan and every other thing.

When i moved in to my neighbor hood it was a very nice quit neighbor hood. Most of the neighbors watch out for each other and take care of one another. So tell me what wrong with the city when my 11 year old has to witness a drive by shooting 2 weeks ago. Dear mayor don't you think it's time to put your little 2015 plan on the back burner till you can resolve the under staffing of our police and fire fighters. You can make a city look all nice, but in the last few weeks we have had a drive by (which by the way was not printed in The Chronicle Telegram or even in the police blotter. It was in the Morning Journal). We have had a peddle by, and a stabbing in this city. How may more things go on that were not aware of. Mayor it's time you stay with in your means as well.

kim

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one enjoy some of the comments that are posted. They are thought provoking and offer different views on life.

I vote to keep the comments but remove any offensive/slanderous posts as you deem necessary.
Patsy

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone has the right to leave a comment however if you have the balls to say something then you should have the balls to put your name to it. There really is no place for Anonymous..... Bill

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to anyone interested the Elyria firefighters have a web sight you can go to that is very informative. www.elyriafirefighters.com.

kim

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The comment section is just that it is an individuals opinion and I feel it should stay. Yes there are times when there may be something in there you may not agree with but there are many times when I do feel the same as others an it is nice to know I don't stand alone in my thoughts. Everyone has a right to thier feelings and WE ALL HAVE A RIGHT TO FEEDOM OF SPEECH!! Please don't take that away. Oh and by the way WE LOVE YOUR WEBSITE!!

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terry,

I support the 1st Amendment and all that includes freedom to express my opinion.

Keep the comments, the FF will grow weary and we will get back to routine.

Love ya man!

11:58 PM  
Blogger Mark T.Hurlbut said...

Dear Sir,
I thought long & hard about opening a blog address, due to privacy issues. I want to commend you on your coverage of Eric Barnes death & funeral. Your coverage & photos of Eric's funeral etc. were awesome. I sent them to my relatives & friends. The print media (Lorain County & Cleveland P.D.) did a fair job. The television media TOTALLY ignored the outpouring of support & patriotism of Lorain citizens,Lorain Countian's, the various Armed Forces Veterans groups, his Command Structure, his four Minister's (from birth to death) etc.

Now ref. opinions. Just like Leatherneck Magazine's letters to the Editor in SOUND OFF, (YEAH I'M A JARHEAD) NOT AS MEAN, NOT AS LEAN, BUT STILL A MARINE. Anonymous
or slanderous letters;comments etc.

3:19 AM  
Blogger TMC NEWS said...

Mark,
I want to thank you for your kind words about our coverage of Airman First Class Eric Barnes. I would also like to thank you for your service to our country.

In reference to your vote on the comment policy, did you mean to say that “Anonymous or slanderous letters; comments etc.” should be removed?

Thanks,
Terry

4:12 AM  
Blogger Mark T.Hurlbut said...

Dear Sir,

Guess I ran out of room on my first blog.

Continueing, Please leave comments availabel. I grew up in Elyria. I have lived in Lorain for the past 30 years. However, all of Lorain County is my backyard.

One thought ref. the brouhaha
with Elyria's finest politician's & E.F.D. is the increase of your property's insurance premium due to the lack of proper Fire Protection a comcern?

I welcome debate. However, if you wan't to hide & be anonymous you are a coward & worthless.

4:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to lean towards the thought of keeping comments, alot can be obtained about peoples true thoughts through them. I agree with Kim, I too, am tired of hearing about the money problems...with the house the city re did and the carryover they have, not to mention the nearly one million dollars in landscaping the city has added to the Rt. 57 project...where did that come from?

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the comment section should defintely stay!! Comments and opinions no matter how slanderous or damaging they may be aren't actually the problem. It's the way people perceive them and what they do because of a comment...that's the problem. They are words...that's it. Everyone is entitled to their thought and their right to voice it. I personally love disagreement and debate. It's a form of open communication and it's also an oppurtunity to learn and grow. If everyone could just be an adult and realize that their way of thinking isn't the only way and just be accepting of that, things would be okay. You don't have to agree but there has to be some level of acceptance there. But hey...that's just my opinion.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first started reading TMC news, I thought it was a GREAT place for a lot of local news. I still think that. However,I remember you saying anonymous comments were not allowed. You specifically said you did not want this to be a b!tch session like Loraincounty.com. I've noticed you (someone using TMCnews.net) to post on LC.com. You are inviting the b!tchers and moaners from that site over here.

Keep the comments and take them for what they are. People mostly blowing off steam or just trying to irritate others.

As far as the mayor and the fire department. KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY MONEY!!!! Work this out WITHOUT raising taxes!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Pole & 18th-21st Street Block Watch said...

I would vote to keep comments, the ridiculous comments don't hurt anything and make for great entertainment. I like to hear what other's think but I would say no anonymous comments.

You do a better job of reporting than our local newspapers. Thanks!

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons