Sunday, August 05, 2007

SUNDAYS WITH JASON

Today starts a new feature called: “Sunday’s with Jason”. Jason has been a Gold Card member of TMC NEWS since the very beginning and frequently posts comments to stories. I have received a lot of Emails from readers asking about Jason and asking why he doesn’t have his own section. Well, you asked for it, you got it. Now it’s time for the obligatory disclaimer. The views expressed in the “Sunday’s with Jason” column do not necessarily represent the views of TMC NEWS. In other words, blame him, not us. As always you are free to respond to his comments, all I ask is that you leave your name to your comments.
****
"Sunday's with Jason"

No time for meet and greets. Lets get down to it.
Oh, here is my disclaimer: I may offend someone, and if I seem judgmental, I am so get over it.

Lorain County, how sweet it is. Unless you are living under a rock or a double wide with no electricity, you would know we had a bit of an odd week here. So here is your recap, through my eyes, unfortunately for you.

#1: Suicide in Wellington at the Ford dealership. You do not have to give me the story, I know exactly how it feels, 2 words ... Buyers Remorse.
#2: Amherst is Dancing on Main Street. I believe that is just code talk for, blue hairs, out of the home, no chaperones. Good for them, but I still believe alcohol and Geritol do not mix.
#3: The 16 year old who rolled his truck on Whitney Road. I love how the story said he was incoherent and combative. Uh, yeah, he is 16. Words of wisdom child leave the bad driving to the experts. You know the 80 year olds who are legally blind. Even they know better than to drive in the dark. Then again it is always dark when you’re blind.
#4: Chemical spill in Elyria. The best part about this story is that the chemicals were not the real emergency. The guy who got hurt....ready for this....he hit his head trying to run away from the potential hazard. Duh, I love that. You know he will be wearing a hard hat and a kick me sign when he gets back to work.
#5: Grafton, yeah, already I am expecting a Bo Duke story. So a 26-year-old man walks past the gate and flashing lights of the railroad crossing and gets hit by a train. Was he blind, deaf or numb all over? Was he bored or drunk or high? The bottom line is it doesn’t matter. Have we left out the one valuable lesson to our children? This kind ofthing has happened a few times recently. So I will do everyone a service, put your kids at the screen, not the ugly ones, KIDS AND ADULTS: THE TRAIN WILL ALWAYS WIN. YOU WILL ALWAYS LOSE. This may need to be added to the home-schooling curriculum too.

Now the Finale, or as I like to refer to as: THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE LOWLIGHTS.
#7: It is only fitting that my final commentary comes from Lorain, theflagship of Lorain County, the pride of the Great Lakes. Or as I like to refer to it as: The scary place with the crooked lighthouse that is slowly trying to drown itself in the Erie. Monday, everyone’s favorite day, the first day back to work, a day so dull that the TV channels try to put their best shows forward because they know we will be home and probably drinking. Not this past Monday.
Here is the scene, 2 men in a longtime quarrel. Think West Side Story, but no singing, dancing, culture or teeth probably. Guy walks into McDonalds and pursues his nemesis. Kills him, cold blood, and smoking pistol in his hand. I tell you, between gun-toting madmen and transfat, Mickey D’s will kill you. Now this marked a milestone in Lorain, as it was the 7th murder in 7 months. What did we win? Even more to this story, it turns out police were very busy with a stabbing and various fights all over the place. So I guess it is Monday Night Raw. Tomorrow I suggest locking your doors and re-evaluate your will. Lorain on a Monday seems to be a literal crapshoot. I just hope the victim got to eat first; no one wants to die hungry. But wait. There is a silver lining.... YOUR COMMENTS! You brainiacs really sounded off on this original TMC post, such fodder for me, I couldn’t resist highlighting some. One suggestion was to send these two guys to Iraq. As if I troops were not in enough danger. Besides, they have McDonalds there too, this story would have happened there just add in a camel, a turban and the smell of Big Monkey Macs. Another guy asked, what happened to the nice people? Well, we all know nice people are boring that is why we never see them on the news. Another states that Lorain has become more like Detroit or NYC. In our dreams. The only thing we have in common is our weather. Look around Lorain. Okay don’t. Let me paint a picture. Imagine: bright lights, world-class attractions, vibrant theatre district, fabulous shopping and entertainment. Now, imagine they never existed. That is Lorain. To be as bad as those cities, we would have to be as good first. But, don’t get me wrong. I love the Palace and all that the Spitzers own. Almost as much as all the vacant buildings with grass growing through the cracks in their deserted parking lots as the tumbleweed blows by and the song Rawhide whistles past the steel plant. It's fun, just not as fun as....... Oh, anywhere in the world. Moving on, a reader also suggested that every block have a block watch and all the smart, non-criminals, get a CCW permit. WHAT? I am not a criminal and my momma thinks I am smart and responsible. But, I will be honest, if I was carrying a weapon in Lorain at night (or day?) I might have the gut instinct to get a bit trigger happy if I felt the way I normally do when I am there. Guns make people feel invincible and your block watch is only as strong as its weakest player. My opinion is, if you gave all the non-criminals (or as I like to call them, pre-criminals) a gun and said, watch your block there might be a lot of dead people, kids, animals, post officers even Jehovah Witnesses.


The police are trying, and I love cops, honestly. Let them try. Summer is here, the crazies leave their homes and this is what happens. Lost youth get into recreational activities. You know, drugs and booze, gangs, murder and fights. Some of you even blame the Mayor. Makes sense, after all it is the Mayor who votes for the boards, the levy, builds factories, fires workers, scares people out and drives down the revenue. RIGHT. But the best comment goes to Matt. Thanks for keeping all of us aware of the price of McGriddles. That guy should be Mayor.

Well, lets wrap it up. If you are still reading, you should be commended. And if you are mad, let me make it up to you. My mother is a missionary who frequents war torn countries and economically and ecologically ravaged places. Anytime I talk to her, she reminds me that the first person to blame in times of doubt is yourself. The reason they are in such despair is due to the fact that they have no respect for the quality of life. Losing a human life to them is like losing a pet goldfish. Quality of Life, we are so wrapped up in what is wrong, we forget to do what is right. I joke a lot because that is what I do, that is my way of saying nobody is perfect and life is to short to try to keep from laughing about it. I promise when you can look at your neighbor or your enemies and realize we are just as important as they are, then you will understand that there are plenty of things to be happy about, even in Lorain. Do your best and hope you get it. Well kids, it has been real and fun, but not real fun. I am open to seeing some feedback but don’t expect me to change. Treat yourself to some McDonalds, wait till Tuesday though.

Jason

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see someone out there has a humorous rehash of what's going on. Keep it up and you can be Mayor. -Eric

6:03 AM  
Blogger alycon said...

Great!Looking forward to your next
"Sundays With Jason"

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NICE JASON BUT I'M JUST WANT TO KNOW WHY YOU DID THIS AT 3:30 AM. I KNOW ITS BECAUSE THE BAR CLOSED AT 2:3O. WHY DO PEOPLE GET UPSET THAT YOU HAVE ONE BAD PERSON KILLS ANOTHER. I THINK IT WAS A GOOD WEEK. WE GOT A DRUG DEALER AND A RAPIST OFF THE STREETS AND NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THEM AGAIN.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe a standing ovation is in order...

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny, i feel bad laughing, but really funny

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always enjoyed reading Jason’s comments to your stories. He always seems to hit the nail on the head when it comes to getting to the true problem. This one might have gone on a bit long but maybe that was because it was his first one. In the end I think what I got from this is that we are responsible for our own actions. No, McDonalds should not review their security. No, the Lorain Police should not be criticized for not stopping that homicide. No, the train company could not have stopped that guy from walking into their train. People do stupid things, period!

I am looking forward to seeing next week’s column. Good Job Jason.

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have always enjoyed Jason’s comments in the past and I think I may have suggested before that he have his own column. There are many times that I read stories on here and think of things that I want to say but never do because I am afraid of what people might think. Nice job Jason saying what others are afraid to say. God Bless your Mother for the work that she is doing to help others in need. Sue from Avon.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Jason, Those were the cold hard facts. and if people get upset about it, they are the ones that think their child could do nothing wrong.
Randy

5:10 PM  
Blogger Sally Van Nuys said...

Hey Jason - while I generally find your comments humorous, this week I feel the offessiveness of one. Being the event chair for rhe Dancing on Main Street event in Amherst, I just have to say "you shoulda been there!!" While there were quite a few "white hairs" (as you called them) in attendance early and they did enjoy themselves, if you saw Terry's photos you'd know that after the sun went down, the entire town was FILLED with people under 40 having a GREAT time!! And in my vast experience, not only does alcohol not mix with Geritol (yes, I can attest to that personally), people of ALL ages really DO know how to have a good time -- this event proved just that AGAIN this year. The ages in attendance ranged from probably about 2 to at least 90! The two year-olds and the 90 something crowd left early -- the rest of had a blast all night long!Thanks for the free press coverage! Have a fun week!! I mean that . . . and don't forget your Geritol (do they still really make that stuff?)

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just what the doctor ordered. Best and most complete description of Lorain I've heard in a long time. Jason had us rollin'

Tomorrow night - Burger King, most definitely.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This guy cracks me up and at the same time makes me think. Thanks for both Jason. Amy from Texas

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some rambling but it all comes clear in the end. I’m leaning towards liking this but I am going to wait till I read one or two more. BenJamin

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude jason i love your freaking sunday section keep em coming bro

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha you explained lorain right down to a tee! rofl

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"we are so wrapped up in what is wrong, we forget to do what is right"

Love that line! How very true!

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this a couple times then I realized you got Lewis Black to write a column for you. Funny shit but there is still a message. Funny as hell. Chris from Lorain

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two favorite lines, KIDS AND ADULTS: THE TRAIN WILL ALWAYS WIN. YOU WILL ALWAYS LOSE and You know he will be wearing a hard hat and a kick me sign when he gets back to work.

I laughed my freakin ass off. So at first I thought that this Jason guy was just a comedian taking shots at locals but then I got down to the end of the article and saw the line that I wish everyone could read…

Quality of Life, we are so wrapped up in what is wrong, we forget to do what is right. I joke a lot because that is what I do, that is my way of saying nobody is perfect and life is to short to try to keep from laughing about it. I promise when you can look at your neighbor or your enemies and realize we are just as important as they are, then you will understand that there are plenty of things to be happy about, even in Lorain.

What a great article. The other day we read from the 16 year old girl who I HOPE and PRAY made some other kids think, adults too, with her revelation about texting to friends while driving your car. I am a Police Officer and I am afraid that we will being seeing more serious crashes because of that damn texting.

Keep up the good work TMC NEWS.

Brian

1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful job Jason. I think that you ststed everything so true. A lot of what you said people are afraid to say because of maying offending someone. Thank you for not beating around the bush and telling it like it is.
Becky

1:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jason, instead of concentrating on the negative aspects of lorain, why don't you focus on what's really important like.....the red parrot tc-lorain

3:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terry, sorry but you made a mistake on this one. Waste of space. I understand it's just his opinion but at least he should know a little about the subject first. The comment section is where he belongs.

Pete, Avon

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the Sundays with Jason. I suppose if it were up to Pete from Avon there wouldn’t be an opinion section in news papers. I like how this site is showing a nice variety between the bad things that happen around our community and also the positive things that are going on around us. I don’t agree with everything Jason said but a lot of what he said made me think and I think that is the point. It did seem a little wordy and maybe as the Sundays go by they will be a little more concise. The other good thing about it is if you don’t like it, scroll down past it. John Rivera Lorain

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the person who posted the third comment asking jason “why do people get upset that you have one bad person kills another. I think it was a good week. We got a drug dealer and a rapist off the streets and never have to worry about them again”

If it were ONLY one bad person killing another bad person then maybe it wouldn’t be a big deal. In the same night there was a stabbing and mutiple other large fights and assaults. The killing of that bad person was the 7th for Lorain for 2007 already surpassing 2006 and we still have moths to go before the year closes up. What will the final tally be? The violence in our city is OUT OF CONTROL. Light MUST be shed on the situation, in newspapers, TV NEWS, Radio and sites like this one and the word of mouth site. If these people ignored the problems that face our city then officials would not feel the rush to solve them. KEEP IT ON THE FRONT PAGES.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like I said John, his comments should be kept hidden afte each story, not his own. By the number of positive posts he will be staying and I'll be scrolling down fast. And I won't be missing anything either.

Pete...Avon

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, i don't like this. This stories are real life. They are someone's family. Making fun of them is very rude. What if you were to get killed and we make fun of you.

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me get this clear because I have a CCW I'm a "pre-criminal"?
I cannot believe the audacity of the person who wrote that. Just because you get trigger happy and think you are invincible does NOT mean that everyone does.

Had my post been read they way I meant for it to you would not be saying this. I said sane people, Ie: people with a good head on their shoulders who are not trigger happy and can stay calm in an environment where some may get trigger happy.as you call it.

NO BODY is invincible and we all know this, however statistics show that armed criminals (the reason I carry a weapon)are far more afraid of an armed citizen than they are of a police officer.
LPD does a great job.i love these guys even know a few.

FYI You must pass a rigorous back ground check and many tests that ensure your mental capabiltiy and physical ability ,meaning you have to be able to hit what you aim at.i was over 40 years old when i got the ccw. the FBI checks your background from the time that you were 18 years old. any offense commited as a juvenile 'that would have been a felony 'had you been of age must be reported. lot more to the process than you probably know. i carry a weapon so if the situation ever arises that i have to defend my life or my loved ones lives'i at least have a chance.i can not believe that you put a pre criminal label on all of us 'i think i,ll forward your smart little comment to ohioans for concealed carry , and the NRA see if they agree on how funny you truly are. i dont mean to offend but your basicly making a joke out of a very serious situation.

2:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Jason,
i agree it was a tad wordy..but you already know that....
Tmc, you should put a link to the stories he is talking about...eassy to do and it helps people catch up if they missed something.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons