Tuesday, May 01, 2007

IN HONOR OF...

Army Sergeant Lane Tollett

A wreath has been placed in Ely Square in honor of Army Sgt. Lane Tollett of Elyria who was killed by an IED in Baghdad last week. Tollett had joined the Army after a visit to Ground Zero in New York and after being inspired by Pat Tillman.

A local businessman, Richard Shupp, created the wreath and placed it in the square next to the new War Memorial to honor his friend’s son. “I felt I had to do something. This young man gave his life for our country and our community, I do not want people to forget him or his sacrifice.”

Shupp heard of Tollett’s death Sunday morning when a neighbor called him. “I went to see his dad after I found out to see how he was doing and to let him know that I was there for him.” Shupp said the visit was “gut wrenching”. Shupp said that Tollett "lived life with a passion and he died for his passion, the United States of America.”

When asked what he feels the community should do now for Tollett Shupp said he wasn’t sure;
“It’s up to each individual how they feel, I mean where’s your patriotism, how do you feel about a young man that gave his life so that you can walk the streets.”

Army Sergeant Norman Lane Tollett
1976 - 2007

To see more photos: CLICK HERE


11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have thought long and hard about what to write and I believe the best that I can say, the only thing that I can say is Thank You and God Bless You Sgt. Tollett.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our family will pray for sgt tollett and the family he leaves behind. God Bless you sgt Tollett

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ache everytime I see that another soldier has died. Being a native elyrian it saddens me even more. My prayers are with the Tollett family.

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for your service and sacrifice sgt tollett

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ask that as many brother firefighters and police officers try to attend Sgt. Tollett's service.

We need to show support and thank him for his sacrifice

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the family and friends of Sgt. Tollett, may God provide you with peace and comfort. To Sgt. Tollett, THANK YOU for giving the Ultimate Sacrifice. As for my family and I, we will continue to honor you and all of our men and women! Our flag waves high, our children stand tall, and we fall to our knees!

You are in our thoughts and prayers!

May God Bless You,

The Washington Family

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I are waiting to hear about the funeral plans. We intend to line the streets to show our support to sgt tollett and to his family for their sacfifice. We will be there with our 3 children even if we have to pull them out of school. God Bless Sgt Tollett and his family.

The Singer Family

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to the Tollett family on the loss of a son,husband,brother etc. Sgt. Tollett you gave the ultimate sacrifice your life, so we can stand tall and free. God bless you and I pray God will keep you in his loving arms. I pray God will give your family the strength and courage to get thru this hard time.in your father's heart you will always be his "buddy" his "little boy"

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Robert Cook a Marine from Elyria who is currently in Iraq, I know the ultimate sacrifice, i watched tomany of my best friends die out here by ied, and it makes me so irate. If only we had more people to replace us out here. Sgt tollett did what he had to do for our country which is more than i can say for 95% of americans. I will never forget his name. Sgt Tollett is a true American hero.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to high school with Lane. I remember what a sweet heart he was to everyone. He was just a kind soul. A person that you wanted to be around. When I heard the news I was in shock. My heart breaks for his family. Lane gave the ultimate sacrifice to protect us and our country. You will be miss. R.I.P. Lane

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To The Tollet Family, Our deepest sympathy and toughts are with you and your family during this difficult time. We thank you and we Thank Sgt. Tollett for your sacrifices. In our hearts he will forever be a Hero. God Bless You.
The Williams, The Kennedys, The Riggles, and The Bennetts.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons