Wednesday, January 17, 2007


Kelly Fowler was getting her two daughters off to bed Wednesday night when she started to smell smoke in her Blaine Street home. Fowler sat down again but began to investigate as the smell became stronger throughout the house. “I looked through the entire house sniffing everywhere and I could smell smoke and heard crackling so I knew something was wrong." It was when Fowler looked out the window and saw the flames that she knew it was time to act, “it was very quick.” Fowler got her two daughters out of the house immediately and then called 9-1-1.

Although Fowler got her two children out of the house she ran back into the smoke, using her sweater as a mask to retrieve something else very important to her. “I went back in for jewelry that belonged to my Mother and I had to go back in to get them.” One of the pieces Fowler was wearing around her neck, a pendant with her Mothers thumbprint.
"When I got back outside the Fire Department was already showing up, they were very quick and I have to say they were very kind to us.”

An early damage estimate is in the neighborhood of $60,000.00, twenty thousand for the room and content and forty thousand in structural damages. Construction crews were on scene around midnight boarding up the house to secure it for the evening.

Fowler says the family cat is still missing but believes he will be back, “he is probably just scared but he will come back home soon.” Faith is helping Fowler cope with this situation, “I believe that everything happens for a reason, there is a reason this happened to us. I am just glad that we all made it out safe.”


Blogger twoturn62 said...

Your article fails to stress how important it is to get out of a burning house. This reminds me of a fire in southern Ohio awhile back. Mom got the two children out and then ran back into the burning house to get Fido. Fido made it out, mom didn't.

Ask those Kids today, what is more important, Fido or Mom?, Grandma's necklace or Mom?

NEVER, EVER, go back into a burning house, no matter how minor it may seems.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Dan O. said...

Unfortunately, it,s one of those lessons some people just never learn. Every firefighter has at least one fire with a fatality that was someone who had been out of the house.
Mine was one where the woman ran next door to call911 and was believed to be going back in for photos or some such family item. Nothing worth dying for, that's for sure.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Herold Jenkins said...

What city was this in?

2:52 PM  
Blogger TMC NEWS said...


2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Orbitz Coupons