CAT KNOCKS OVER CANDLE
CAUSES MOBILE HOME FIREElyria – An afternoon blaze in a mobile home on Delaware Ave in Colonial Oaks caused $7,000.00 in damages and left one woman looking for a place to stay.
Assistant Chief Ron Brlas of the Elyria Fire Department said the resident said she had a candle burning in a back bedroom before the fire. “She said while she was in the front of the home cleaning she heard a noise in the bedroom and went to check it out. Apparently her cat knocked over the candle and it landed on some clothing, setting it on fire.”
The woman was able to get the cat and family dog out of the home unharmed and phone the Fire Department.
When Firefighters arrived Brlas said they had moderate smoke showing from the rear of the structure. “Our Ladder crew came in and took out the windows to allow the Engine crew to get inside and confine the fire to the back bedroom. They then had the fire knocked down within about 15 minutes.”
Brlas said LifeCare Paramedics treated the woman on the scene for smoke inhalation. She received no injuries.