Saturday, September 19, 2009


Three men were injured early Saturday morning after they crashed into a pole on Baird Road – two were flown to MetroHealth in Cleveland.

Trooper Lance Deshuck of the Ohio State Highway Patrol said that the investigation is continuing because he was only able to have brief conversations with two of the victims at the scene of the crash. “At this time we know the car was south on Baird Road and for whatever reason the driver lost control and went off the right side of the roadway striking a ditch and a pole. The pole struck the car right on the driver’s door. The vehicle apparently spun about 90 degrees after going off the roadway before striking the pole.”

The collision caused all three occupants to become trapped inside of the small car that had rolled onto its side.

Chief William Rennie of the Florence Township Fire Department said it took about 15 to 20 minutes to free all three men from the wreckage. “My first concern was that we were getting reports of down wires around the vehicle, so of course that would cause a dangerous situation for the rescue. Fortunately the wires were cable lines so we were able to get in there right away and do our thing.”

Rennie said that even with the car on its side, mangled and with three people inside, extrication went quickly and smoothly. “Our Firefighters train for all sorts of situations all the time. Being out here on these back roads we get a lot of high speed crashes unfortunately so we do a lot of extrication training so we’re able to handle anything we’re dealt.”

Paramedics from Central Lorain County Ambulance District (CLCAD) took over patient care as soon as the victims were pulled from the car. A Supervisor from CLCAD who was on the scene directed helicopters to both Allen Community Hospital and to the scene for two of the three victims. The driver was deemed the most serious and was taken from the scene to Allen by a LifeCare Ambulance while the remaining two victims were still being extricated.

A helicopter landed and flew one of the occupants who had glass in his eyes and other minor injuries. The third victim was then transported by ambulance to Allen Community.

Trooper Deshuck said that the investigation is ongoing as he has only had an opportunity to have brief conversations with the two passengers.

The passenger that was flown from the scene has been released from Metro and is back home recovering with injuries to his eyes.



Post a Comment

<< Home

Orbitz Coupons