Thursday, August 20, 2009


Call Time: 5:49 a.m. Thursday August 20, 2009
Avon – An early morning fire in Avon caused $150,000 in damages – homeowner believes it was caused by a cigar that was left on a planter.

Chief Frank Root of the Avon Fire Department said they got the call of a house on fire at 5:49 a.m. Thursday morning. “When our guys arrived they found heavy fire and smoke coming from the back of the residence. They set up quickly and did an attack knocking down most of the fire pretty fast. Our automatic mutual aid Departments then arrived to assist us in checking for any extension.”

Root said that the fire was beginning to extend up into the roof area but the Firefighters were able to stop that from spreading. “This worked out perfectly this morning, these guys did a great job – they did exactly what they were supposed to do and in the end saved the rest of the home. Had this gotten any further into the roof area we would have an entirely different outcome. So I was very happy with how this ran this morning.”

The homeowner, Corey George, echoed Chief Root by saying how happy he was with the Firemen and how quickly they knocked down the blaze and preventing it from spreading. “Just a fantastic job, I really appreciate everything they did to save my home.”

George said that he had placed a cigar in a planter and poured water on it before going to bed the night before. He woke up to the noise of the fire and smell of the smoke.

Root said that his automatic mutual call brought Firefighters from Sheffield Village and North Ridgeville as well as Fire Chief Jeff Young from Sheffield Village.

Damage to the house is estimated at $100,000 and $50,000 damage to contents.



Post a Comment

<< Home

Orbitz Coupons