Monday, February 16, 2009

RECALL PETITIONER ICED

FINALLY LET OUT OF PENALTY BOX
Elyria – Craig Bevan, co-chairman of Stand-Up Elyria, thought he would spend a couple hours at the Elyria North Recreation Center Sunday night getting people to sign one of his petitions to recall Elyria Mayor Bill Grace. Bevan said that people were lining up to sign and then he was asked to leave the building by a Park Ranger. “He was very nice about it but he told me that I would have to leave – that I wasn’t allowed to circulate my petition on the Park property. I told him that this issue had already been discussed with the city Law Director but he said that I would have to leave.”

Bevan left the building and the Ranger contacted his superiors to get a clarification on the issue. While that was going on a NewsChannel 5 truck arrived to cover an event at the Ice Rink, they were quickly drawn to Bevan and the supporters that had gathered around him. Shortly after the interview Bevan received a call from a Supervisor at the Elyria Police Department telling him that he and the Ranger had reviewed the policies and said that as long as he was not selling anything or harassing anyone, he was welcome to return to the building with his petition.

Bevan said that before he left the Ranger had found him for a conversation. “He was very nice again and said that he was just doing his job and that he was sorry for the inconvenience. I have a lot of respect for the Ranger, he was very nice and for him to go back and look up the policies to be sure – that shows that he has a lot of integrity. We shook hands and all is good.”

Bevan said that after talking to many of the parents, including one that brings three MRDD kids to the rink every Sunday, he was very move and inspired to continue with his mission. “I can’t tell you how sad these stories are that I have been hearing from these parents, the one man who brings the three MRDD kids was almost in tears because he said that he does not know what they will do now – he said they probably won’t be able to make a drive to another rink. I continue my fight for these people.”


Editors note: For the record, Bevan was never actually placed in the Rink’s Penalty Box.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing how people have nothing better to do then bitch an complain about the mayor. I personally am sick of hearing it. I’m not pro nor against the mayor but I do believe that people give him a little more shit then he deserves. It is always easier for people to coach from the sidelines. If you don’t like the way he is running the city then put your name on the ballot. You can only do so much with the cards your dealt. We are talking about Elyria aka the asshole of Lorain county. Its not like its got this way over night its been happening over the last 20 years. Get a life and stop crying for attention. I really believe that you all just get off on seeing your pictures and your two cents posted on the internet. That’s just my two cents.

Bob Owsiak

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons