Thursday, January 01, 2009

LOOKING BACK AT 2008

As we enter into a new year we wanted to know what story or event of 2008 affected people the most and what their wish is for 2009. Two of our long time Gold Card members shared their thoughts on that question – Lorain County Sheriff Phil Stammitti and Great Lakes Church Worship Leader Trina Johnson.


I think the event that obviously affected me and the entire Sheriff’s Office was the amount of cuts imposed by the County Commissioners on our General Fund Budget and our Jail Budget for 2009.

I did expect cuts to be made, not to the magnitude of 20%. I truly understand that the economy across the entire United States is struggling, and Ohio seems to have been hit hard. I have been in law enforcement for over 35 years and this is the worse I have seen things. I truly believe that there are basic foundations of society; safety of our citizens is paramount (such as police & fire), I also believe that we need good solid schools for our children’s education. No business will locate in an area where they do not believe that these basic services can be provided.

I understand that the Commissioners want to bring in businesses to our communities, but until the can solidify these services; they are putting the cart before the horse in my opinion. We have operated understaffed for years, but we needed to keep all the personnel that we had at the Sheriff’s Office. Unfortunately, I had to lay-off 12 full-time deputies, 8 part-time deputies, and two records clerks (as I shut down the night shift record room). This affects vital services to the public that are expected and truly deserved by all the citizens of Lorain County.

My wish for 2009 is that we can all work together for a common goal to make Lorain County an attractive place to locate for any business or for any family to locate anywhere in Lorain County. This will take all elected officials and citizens to work together to improve services and run tight budgets until the economy makes a rebound, which I believe that it will.

Thank you,
Lorain County Sheriff Phil R. Stammitti


In May of 2008 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I never thought I would ever hear those words. There is no cancer in my family anywhere. I take care of myself, eat healthy and exercise. My husband of 25 years was devastated. My four adult children didn't understand how this could happen. I have always had a strong faith and that never left me through what would be one of the hardest decisions I have ever made. Sometimes there are no answers for why only that I want to live the best life and never live in fear. I want to be a thriver not just a survivor. In June - double mastectomy – but hope to be cancer free. Words like lymph node negative...borders are clear ;) All reasons to be happy!

It has been a long journey 2008, but I am looking forward to 2009 and have had so much personal growth through what some would see as a tragedy. Sometimes you never know how much you are loved until you are faced with a tragedy – and you never reach out until you need everyone around you to just love you.

I have it all.
My family and friends – amazing
My faith – stronger than ever.
My life – fuller than ever!
Looking forward to a great year!

In 2009 I would hope and pray for others to know this kind of love and happiness!

Trina Johnson



Before commentingreview the new policy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great idea to have folks put their name.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons