Monday, December 31, 2007

SUNDAYS WITH JASON

Yes, I am here, and although my mind is usually and unorganized mess of thoughts and rants; you should have heard me yesterday. What a brain-ache; I just couldn’t put a full sentence together. I kept expecting the short bus to pull up and take me away. And to all the fathers of little girls: how hard is it to see your little sweetheart so unhappy? She’s a trooper but it breaks your heart to see them in pain, with fevers and chills and everything in-between.

Okay so let’s move on and if I don’t make any sense…well, that wouldn’t be a first.
So, Santa has run outta town with all our money in his big red bag. I hope you at least have something to show for it! This is a year in review, courtesy of "Sundays with Jason" (yeah, the whole Monday thing really messes up everything for me too).

January, yes, it was only 12 months ago that Hazel’s restaurant was begging non-smokers to inhabit their “diner.” They invited them by posting a message on their sign. It would be interesting to see how the smoking ban has affected them a year later. You have to admit; nothing says, “family dining,” like the smell of tobacco and gravy. I would venture to guess people still miss that old familiar scent!

February kept our kids out of school for 2 reasons: #1: we were pelted with snow (yes snow) and everyone was stuck indoors. Secondly, there were a slew of bomb threats throughout the county. The good thing about bomb threats is that they are “threats” and we are fortunate that none were carried out. My favorite February story of course was the Elyria K.F.C sign debacle; if you are an avid reader you’d know that the campaign against adult illiteracy just can’t make enough stops at this local chicken joint. Apparently the management staff couldn’t run bath water, let alone a restaurant. But in their defense, spelling is hard, especially if you can’t read in the first place. (and the colonel rolls over in his grave)

March put Lorain County in the path of Mother Nature’s wrath as she unleashed a whirling tornado on Elyria. I for one thought it was about time, all we ever have are tornado warnings, they get old. Besides, we had a chance to see a house fall on a wicked witch but, unfortunately, my elementary principal made it through the ordeal unscathed.

In April, the country was baffled and disgusted by the Virginia Tech shooting, and that is still a firm reminder of the unpredictable minds of and actions of some of our lost and unmotivated youths.

But those “April Showers” kept pouring into May as our community endured through the loss of Army Sergeant Lane Tollett and the bomb threats in our schools continued across the county. We also “felt the burn” as gas prices soared to over $3.50 a gallon. But there were some things to cheer people up like the Convenient Food Mart on Cleveland Street’s Rib Burn Off (woof), and the 400th episode of The Simpson’s. My favorite story from May was: the moron who went “hiking” in cascade park at 1:00 in the morning and fell 50 feet. Let me say; if you go for a “walk” through Cascade Park without the proper attire or tools in the dead of night, you deserve the valuable lesson of a good fall. May also debuted the cars vs. trains series. Those of you keeping score will recall the train is still undefeated.

June, what was June all about? A total mess, that’s what. A sexual predator search in Avon, shooting on High Street, break-ins at the Shupp Shoppe, armed robbery at Chapman’s Food Mart, kids drowning in lake Erie, the murder of Jessie Davis and her unborn child, the murder of Granny D’s Pizza owner David Kowalczyk, baby Jayden Davidson killed by his father Kevin Kimbrough and the loss of Lorain’s Airman 1st Class Eric M. Barnes. Oh and the Cav’s lost the series. I’m out of breath, and overwhelmed just looking at the list! June is officially the worse month of 2007, so if your birthday was during June, sorry, better luck next time.

July, TMC’s first birthday, and we were fresh out of diapers. July was all about the heat as we saw our first 90-degree days and plenty of house fires. There was Moss' Prime Rib & Spaghetti House’s first ever "Dining Under The Stars" and numerous summer events taking place. The Lorain School board chaos began with picketing, and heated board meetings. I for one thought all they needed was a good ol’ fashioned fisticuffs match, which would have straightened out the whole situation.

July was also the scene of the infamous McDonalds shooting, if you are not familiar; just don’t go to McDonald’s in Lorain on Monday.

August, the best thing to ever happen to the blogger world…Sundays with Jason premiers! That should be enough but I guess there were some other things that happened. Lorain County flooded, Amherst throws a pretty good party for, well, itself, we saw the video clip of the “taser lady” and my kidneys still hurt from laughing. There was also the Red Parrot “riot” (is that place still open?), and all the summer “festivals.” You’ll reminisce with me a moment about the Corn festival tragedy, and the fact that I am still in therapy over the images I endured there. WHY ME? That was an accident waiting to happen, and I walked right into it.

In July we also saw the EFD pitted against the politics of Elyria, and the wars of words began against Mayor Grace.

As far as the past few months have gone… well do you really want to remember them? The beef recalls, the car crashes, house fires, the Tribe’s failure, murders by people, murders by trains. YUCK. I don’t know about you but now I realize why we throw parties at the end of the year. We’re glad they’re over. People get drunk, trying to erase the previous 12 months from their memories. But it’s the same as each year passes, I’m sure. As they say, “Hindsight is 20/20” (and with Barbara Walters on 20/20, I’m glad I don’t have “hindsight,” if you know what I mean). So, sure we coulda, woulda, shoulda… but let’s look ahead and try a little bit harder. How’s about that?

So get your New Years Resolutions together and try to stick to it. Let’s hope for bigger and brighter and better things for 2008. Thanks for a great year of comments and opinions and for the chance to say things that my brain just can’t keep bottled up. I will be back and healthier and just as stupid as ever next time.

Till then, be safe, be smart, and keep your eyes on the road.

Jason



*TRIVIA TIME*
So, since we can't beat up our relatives (it's the holidays after all), how about a chance to watch someone do your dirty work. Answer this trivia and win TWO FREE TICKETS to Superior Cage Fighting’s “PLAYING FOR KEEPS” that will be held on January 11th in the gymnasium of St. John Lutheran Church on West River Road by Target.

On my first Sundays with Jason, my Highlight of the Lowlight was about the story, "Violence erupts in Lorain: 1 killed." In it I thanked reader "matt" for leaving a comment about the price of Mc Griddles. How much were they on that fateful day? Now, that's trivia!

Answer the question in the comments section and leave your email so we can contact you about the tickets.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

two sausage mcgriddles for 3 buckss!
whatt a deall!

1:29 AM  
Blogger aChenoweth said...

"sausage mcgriddles 2 for 3 bucks...that's pretty cool" I believe is what is said....I don't know how I missed that when it aired, thanks for a good chuckle!

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 for 3 bucks sixpackmjb1@oh.rr.com

9:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They were $3.00 for 2.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

McGriddles were 2 for $3.00.
My email is sparkyssb@eriecoast.com

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was the question, " How much were two sausage mcgriddles?"

Sausage McGriddles were $1.50 on that fateful morning Jason.

Tom in Grafton

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

two sausage mcgriddles for 3 dollars. fisherhockey05@yahoo.com

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

next time I expect my name to be capitalized...

9:44 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

The irony of it all.

Jason takes the time to recap an entire years worth of news. He takes the time to throw in his satire, his wit, his charm.

... and all you folks can do is try and get free stuff?

No one appreciates you like I do Jason!

Happy New Year!

PS. I too spent New Years with my sick daughter. I know how you feel bud.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons