Wednesday, December 26, 2007


When Sharon Whitman returned home Monday night and found that fire had struck her West 30th Street home.

Lorain Firefighters were called to the home after food left on a stove unattended started a blaze just before 5 p.m. on Christmas Day. The woman who owns the home, Sharon Whitman, had left the house while the food was still cooking on the stove. Whitman lives in the home with only her cat but was playing host to 10 out of town relatives. Aside from the kitchen area the fire also crawled into the attic and a portion of the living room causing an estimated $30,000.00 worth of damage.

With the blaze rendering the home uninhabitable by Firefighters that left 11 people, 3 adults and 8 children without a place to stay, that is until the local chapter of the American Red Cross arrived on scene and began making arrangements for the family.

In the end the Red Cross volunteers placed all 11 people into a local hotel and was also able to provide them with much needed clothing that was destroyed in the fire.

As David Letterman always says; “And if that weren’t enough, and by golly don’t ya think it ought to be?” The Red Cross also made arrangements for the family to be able to visit nearby restaurants for dinner, all compliments of the Red Cross.

The Lorain Firefighters, while facing all the dangers that go along with fighting a house fire, showed their compassion towards a family losing their home on Christmas by covering furniture and other items throughout the home in an attempt to minimize the water damage.

To assist the Lorain County Chapter of the American Red Cross in continuing helping our neighbors throughout Lorain County visit their website by CLICKING HERE.

The Lorain Fire Department has been protecting lives and property since 1883 and continues to show that they care about the citizens they serve.


Post a Comment

<< Home

Orbitz Coupons