Tuesday, December 25, 2007


A late night Christmas Eve house fire serves as a reminder for homeowners to properly maintain their fireplaces and have them serviced at least once a year.

Elyria Firefighters responded to a Bowling Green Ave. home just before midnight Monday night after someone spotted smoke and flames coming from the front of the home.

Captain Tim Mitchell of the Elyria Fire Department said that when they arrived they found fire on the outside of the home coming from the base of the chimney. “Upon walking around to the side of the home we found flame and heavy smoke in the interior of the home. We made an aggressive attack on the inside to push it out, the boys knocked it down pretty quick on the inside.”

Captain Mitchell said that after performing primary and secondary searches of the home they discovered that there were no occupants in the home at the time of the fire.

It is believed that the fire started in the fireplace because of a crack in the liner somewhere and it extended to the outside.

Captain Mitchell said that it is important for people with fireplaces to have them inspected each year and cleaned if needed.

To see more photos from the scene: CLICK HERE


Post a Comment

<< Home

Orbitz Coupons