Thursday, November 22, 2007

WHAT ARE YOU THANKFUL FOR

To all of our loyal readers, friends, new readers and most especially to our Gold Card Members, Happy Thanksgiving! I hope that you all have a wonderful day and enjoy this time with your family and friends.

As we spend today reflecting on what we are most thankful for, let us not forget those who put their lives on the line for us every day: The men and women serving in the Armed Forces around the world. These people leave their families and go into hell not knowing what tomorrow holds for them. We should be thankful as a nation that there are people willing to perform these duties.

The men and women, who here at home, put on a badge and gun everyday, go to work and not know if they will return or not. Their jobs, although fulfilling to most, can be dirty, rough and extremely dangerous. It is too often performed without the credit, praise or respect that they deserve.

The men and women who wake up in the middle of the night when the bell sounds informing them of a house fire, a warehouse fire or of a child trapped in flooded waters. Often times we take these men and women for granted. Some see them as people who sit around and watch TV all day and earn way too much money. How much money would you ask for to run into a burning house to rescue a family? How much would you ask for to go into high waters to rescue a child? I covered the massive fire in Wellington this month and as I stood on the railroad tracks, a couple hundred feet away from the building, the heat even from that distance was amazing. I could only imagine the heat from vantage point of the Firefighters.

The men and women who sometimes get lost in the shuffle, those who don the blue shirts with the reflective EMS scrolled across the back. Paramedics and EMT’s can be found crawling into cars on the side of the road starting lines or tending to wounds while Firefighters are using the Jaws to free victims. In one shift these men and women can see gunshot victims, heart attack patients and major car crashes. They can also be found transporting the elderly to and from nursing homes lending an ear to someone who may not have many other people willing to listen.

When you are making your list today of the things that you are most thankful for, please remember these people.

Terry M. Costigan, TMC NEWS
TMC NEWS asked several friends and Gold Card Members to share what they are thankful for this year; I hope after reading what they have written you will take a few moments and share with us what you are thankful for this year.

For this year’s Thanksgiving, there are two things that come to mind immediately:
1. I am thankful for all of our soldiers, police officers and firefighters, who still believe in this country and who are willing to put themselves in harm’s way every day on our behalf. God Bless them.
2. In a world that has become devious and mean-spirited, I am thankful for my close-knit family and friends. They help keep the darkness on the outside.

Police Chief Cel Rivera, Lorain Police Department

I always hear speeches and awards that start out with “I would like to thank my family and friends” – This Thanksgiving those words mean more to me then ever. I have gone through many changes this year. I have to say without my parents and close friends I would not have made it. These past twelve months I have made more friends then I have in my entire life. They have helped me in more ways then I can ever explain. Like most holidays, this Thanksgiving I will be working the road. The Sunday before will be the day my family and I celebrate this special holiday. My parents, my daughter, and one very special person will be joining me for a day of Thanks.

So when asked, “What are you Thankful for”, this year I say my loving parents who have helped me out unconditionally and without hesitation. My two-year-old daughter Madaline, who with a hug, kiss, and a “I love you daddy” makes everything OK. She has changed me so much this year, more then she will ever know and I thank her for that. An angel came into my life this year as well. She is a loving, supportive, and most of all understanding person. I look forward to each time I see her. Without her, life would be incomplete. This angel’s name is Rashelle, and I want to thank her for all she has done for me.

Trooper Chris Ausse, The Ohio State Highway Patrol

This year I promised myself that I would be thankful for all of the things that we take for granted on a day-to-day basis. I am thankful for the roof over my head, because so many people don't have that luxury. I am thankful for food to put on the table, not just today but everyday.

I am thankful for my husband, because without him, I wouldn't have two wonderful children, a shoulder to cry on and someone to curl up to when I am cold. For my children, because despite the fact that I have lost three babies, God has still blessed me with two beautiful children, who love me, and I know too many people who can't have babies themselves. For my family and extended family/friends, who are full of love and support.

For my work friends, without you I couldn't have landed the career of my dreams, one that provides substantial things for my family and myself. I will do my best not to let any of you down.

And lastly, I am thankful for TMC NEWS and Terry Costigan...with out you, I would be so out of the loop!

For anyone or anything I missed, sorry and Happy Thanksgiving!

Abby Chenoweth, Wife, Mother, Friend, Litigation Paralegal

I'm most thankful for my family, my beautiful fiancée and our kids. We had a great year with vacations, and all the sports that the kids play.

I'm also thankful for the guys I work with; they do such an incredible job. They make me look good with all the hard work and extra tasks they perform.

Fire Chief Frank Root, Avon Fire Department

Thankful? Where do I begin? To be alive in this country, at this point in history, is a gift more bountiful than I can express. My family, my friends, the graceful and embracing community in which we live. The men and women in uniform who have, and do today, risk their very lives to make ours more livable. And for my job, that allows me to observe and sometimes share the wonderful stories of the people of Northeast Ohio.

But you know what I am most grateful for? A day, a holiday, when we are asked to humbly recognize the wonderful things that we have been given. This day is a gift that offers far more than it asks of us.

Tim White, Channel 3 News Anchor

This year, I am thankful to be alive. I'm thankful for my friends and family, for a roof over my head, and a chance for tomorrow. I am also thankful that my career is going so well, I recently guest starred in Law and Order and have starred in numerous independent films. My band Whale is doing well and has been featured on Fox News and played on some major market rock stations. Music and acting are passions of mine and I am thankful that I am able to be doing both.

PS- I'm most thankful that this is Bush's last year in office! Yay!

Ben Curtis, Actor / Musician
Curtis is best known for his commercials as the "Dell Dude"

I’ve been blessed enough to be thankful for many things: wonderful friends and family who keep a smile on my face and laughter in my heart (you know who you are); excellent co-workers who constantly give of themselves; my health (although I am aging rapidly); watching my daughter move ever closer to giving birth to her first born, a day I never in my wildest dreams thought would happen (thank you Dr Getty); seeing my son make it through the year without major surgery (just those 2 minor ones, huh Eric?); Mel Brooks, may he live on in infamy; and finally, I haven't been mentioned in “Sundays with Jason”.
Rhonda Purdy, R.N. EMT-P

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all I want to thank Terry for the powerful testimonials of the many reasons others have to be thankful!
For myself: I am thankful that my husband, who is in Kidney Failure, has lived to spend another Thanksgiving to be with our son and I.
I am thankful that my son is a happy and healthy young man and he is drug and alcohol free in a world where so many teenagers are addicted to something.
I am thankful for my health and for the many blessings that God has bestowed upon me.
I am thankful for my extended family, even though we spend most of our time fighting, I know they still love me.
I am blessed with so much when so many are doing without and I thank God for each and every blessing.
But like Terry said: I am especially blessed to live in a country where I can speak my mind without fear of reprisals by a dictator and the Armed Forces will protect me and those I love from savage attacks by hostile foreigners, and in an emergency there is someone that I can call to get help. Thank you all for your sacrifice to help others.
God Bless, and Happy Thanksgiving to all, Patsy

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey don't forget the dispatchers. We are the ones who answer the call and send out the help. We are stuck in a chair day in and day out. I'm thankful I have this job. God sometime gives you the ablity to a job that you may not know you could do. This is it for me. I'm the one who hear the frantic voice of the mother whose child isn't breathing. I have to calm her down and tell her how to give CPR. I'm the one who gets yelled at because his wife threw him out and he wants the police. I'm the one who get the panic call from a elderly lady because her house has smoke in it. I have reason with her to leave the house so she don't die. I'm thankful God has given my the ablity to be a dispatcher. Because a lot of people can't do this job.

Mel

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel,
I didn't forget the Emergency Dispatchers. I just didn't clarify my gratitude enough, I guess.
I have immense appreciation and gratitude for the job that everyone in Emergency Services renders but dispatchers are the people who get the ball rolling.
Believe me with my husbands illnesses I have spoke to more dispatchers than I care to remember today!
I can only imagine the situations that dispatchers handle on a daily basis. Reminds me of the title of a Clint Eastwood movie: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.
Much gratitude for your service and the services of others in your profession, Patsy

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story tmcnews. Really gives us all food for thought. Reminds me of a challenge I once heard. Try and spend at least one minute per day thinking of what you are thankful for and you will soon find that one minute is not enough to count all your blessings. Best wishes to all for a happy and healthy holiday season!

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons