Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Farewell Art!

We were saddened to learn of the death today of Art Weber at the age of 76.


Weber will be best known for his lifelong involvement in politics and community service work in Elyria. We will remember him as the man who made sure American Flags lined the Memorial Day Parade route.


In a 2009 article on TMC NEWS Weber talked about the Flags. “I have been doing this since 1990, that’s at least as far back as I can remember – it might be longer but I remember the paper doing a story in 1990 about this,” said Weber. “Each year I will go through the Cemetery and pick up the Flags after Memorial Day and store them in my garage – each year new Flags are placed on the graves of Veterans. I save them until the following Memorial Day and place them through the park and whatever is left over we’ll pass them out to the kids during the parade.”


Weber said that he has also used the Flags to line streets in recent times when local fallen Soldiers were returned home. “I do this for them, I do it for the Soldiers – I do it for the Veterans, because it’s the right thing to do.”


In Honor of all that Art Weber did for our community I will be flying an American Flag for him – “because it’s the right thing to do.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons