Friday, May 22, 2009

PLANTING FLAGS FOR 20 YEARS

“I do this for them, I do it for the Soldiers –
I do it for the Veterans,
because it’s the right thing to do.”
Art Weber
Ever wonder who places all of the small American Flags around Ely Square for Memorial Day weekend? Well, we found Art Weber placing the Flags throughout the park today.

“I have been doing this since 1990, that’s at least as far back as I can remember – it might be longer but I remember the paper doing a story in 1990 about this,” said Weber. “Each year I will go through the Cemetery and pick up the Flags after Memorial Day and store them in my garage – each year new Flags are placed on the graves of Veterans. I save them until the following Memorial Day and place them through the park and whatever is left over we’ll pass them out to the kids during the parade.”

Weber said that he has also used the Flags to line streets in recent times when local fallen Soldiers were returned home. “I do this for them, I do it for the Soldiers – I do it for the Veterans, because it’s the right thing to do.”


PHOTO GALLERY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons