Wednesday, March 18, 2009

FROM A GRATEFUL FIRE CHIEF

Editor’s note: I found this letter on the Florence Township website tonight and thought I would share it with our readers. It’s a thank you letter from Chief William Rennie of the Florence Township Fire Department.

I would like to take time to thank everyone who helped and supported the Florence Twp. Fire Department on March 3. I have been on the department almost 24 years and this was the largest fire I can recall.

First, I would like to thank all of my fellow firefighters who came from all over the area to assist us. You are all truly a class act and I am proud to be associated with you. These departments are Amherst, South Amherst, Wellington, Camden, Wakeman, Vermilion, Vermilion Township, Berlin Township, Huron and Milan Township fire departments. Your help was greatly appreciated by the citizens of Florence Township, our whole department and myself.

Second, I would like to thank the citizens of the community. You came and watched from the sidewalk across the street never getting in the way of all of the equipment moving around. We appreciate all the people carrying coffee and shouting words of support and thanks.

Next, I need to thank our businesses in the area that brought food and drinks, the Red Cross from both Lorain and Erie counties, Country Breeze Carryout and Smokin Joes for all of the pizza and doughnuts, the Birmingham United Methodist Church for the coffee and drinks and McDonald’s for making hundreds of cheeseburgers and fries to feed these hard working firemen.

Also, I would like to thank Mr. Bettcher for his forethought in redoing his lake for fire protection a few years ago, not only for his fire protection but also for the benefit of the community. This water supply was invaluable on this day.

At the end of the day we suffered a huge loss to our community but most importantly, no one was hurt. And Mrs. Janosik, who lives in the house next door, had a home to return to.

In the end, I would like to express my deepest appreciation to every member of the Florence Township Fire Department for their hard work and dedication to our community. I am proud to be a member and even more proud to be the chief of this first-class department.

Chief William Rennie
Florence Township Fire Department


FIRE SCENE PHOTO GALLERY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Orbitz Coupons