CARELESS SMOKING CAUSE OF FIRE
Our own Brian Woods was first on scene and found the elderly homeowner standing on the front porch lighting a cigarette with heavy flames showing inside the house. Woods said he yelled to the man to get off the porch and away from the house. The man suggested that a fire extinguisher would be enough to put the fire out. Woods told the man again to get off the porch and away from the house saying that the Firefighters would be there in a minute.
The man, who is on home oxygen, walked towards the driveway and told Woods that he thinks it was a cigarette that hit the oxygen tubing and that started the fire.
When Firefighters arrived they quickly extinguished the fire. Although the fire was contained to the front right portion of the home – the entire home suffered severe heat, smoke and water damage. Smoke detectors in the rear of the home were completely melted.
Assistant Chief Russ Scarbrough of the Elyria Township Fire Department wanted to stress how dangerous it is for people to smoking while on home oxygen. “This man was very lucky – this fire could have been very tragic.”